Monday, January 31, 2011

Organizing a Book Club for Kids

It’s exciting to hear that more and more kids are interested in reading and want to formulate a book club. Book Club is a fun way to exercise reading and comprehension, learn new words, and express opinions.

If your child is interested in a book club, organizing one is simple. Try the following:

• Have your child or school extend an invitation to seek participants.
• Pick reading materials that everyone can benefit from (ie. sequel or series books, Highlights Magazine, Sports books and journals, mysteries, drama, etc.) or ask potential members what books they are drawn to reading.
• Provide a fun activity based on the book or story. Participation is crucial within a book club and this is a way to get everyone to participate. Also, an activity will reinforce or provide knowledge. Activities can be word games, Pictionary, role playing, spoken word, and more.
• Decide on a designated time, place, and length of your book club. Make sure that it’s amenable to each participant and their parent(s) or guardian.

Speaking from personal experience, I organized a book club when I lived in New Jersey, and I loved every minute of it. I read books that I normally wouldn’t have selected, and I ventured into conversations that I normally wouldn’t have discussed. My mind grew, and my world became larger all through reading with my amazing book club. I hope that your child finds a unique element to book club that will enable him or her to soar as well.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment