Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Child's Ability to Read

According to the Idaho Commission for Libraries, books with rhyme, rhythm, repetition, pictures, and childhood associations are great for a baby's mental development.



I am always amazed at a child's ability to learn words, recognize sounds, and read books. If a child engages in reading at an early age (even at birth), the act of reading will become of a part of their being and spirit. For my children, I started reading to them before they were born. It was a way for me to connect with them and for them to connect with me. I could recognize little movements when I read rhythmic stories like Dr. Seuss partly due to a tune in my voice and a clap to my hands. These stories were just really fun to me and soon became fun to my children with age.



To keep the enjoyment and interest of reading, I would potentially make up music or songs to stories. Often times, my children thought my stories were real, and I would reply, "Mommy just wants you to be interested in reading." Boy, was that fun! Now, the stories that I actually made up for them are real because I decided to become an author and embark upon a passion to make reading FUN for all children.



Now as a parent, you can select this path or charter on your own path, but please encourage your children to read and be present in their reading activities. Eventually, you will hear new words from their lips, you will witness the excitement of book characters in their eyes and smiles, and you will be mesmerized by their thinking abilities.



On yesterday, I heard my youngest son who is six years old reading an article in the newspaper. He read "bigger" words like competition, announcement, and obviously so fluently. I was stunned and overwhelmed, but more importantly, I rejoiced because I remember a time when we were focused on cat, hat, and sat. What a welcome surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment