Friday, April 25, 2014

Reading Changes Things!

It's exciting to hear a first grader say that she loves to read, but disheartening to hear her say that she no longer wants to read because the kids in her class are always picking at her. What?!?! These are the formative years, and reading is essential! No child should contend with teasing for reading. Hearing this saddened me, and it still troubles me. However, some good did come out of this conversation. This little girl didn't know that she was speaking to a person who writes children's books. Once I told her about my books and why I write them, she beamed! We continued to talk more, and then she asked if she could have a copy of one of my books. I told her "yes" if she promises to keep reading. She agreed, and I autographed a book for her. Yet, the story won't end here, my goal is to follow-up with the principal and site coordinator on her progress. #ReadingMatters #ReadAnyway #ReadingChangesThings #KeepReading

No comments:

Post a Comment